Tuesday, July 28, 2009

July 26 2009 - Waukesha - Milwaukee


Today will be remembered as the sports day on the trip!


We had the opportunity to sleep in until 7:30 am this morning which was fantastic! Once we were packed up and ready, we had a fabulous sponsored breakfast from Kathy, the representative from Independence First who is organizing our days in Milwaukee, and her friends. The breakfast was delicious and included ham, egg, and cheese casserole, fresh fruit, muffins, juice, and French toast. After thanking our sponsors for the meal, we ran some errands with the 2 hours of free time that we had. I went to the bike shop with some of the guys to buy brake pads, adjust my derailleur, and purchase cleats for my shoes. It was a successful trip except I was unable to find some bike tape for my handlebars.


Our afternoon began with an arrival into a local park, where we were warmly greeted by Kathy and many others. We were then given a hosted lunch and let loose with many kids for sports activities. I was lucky enough to secure a wheel chair so that I could participate in wheel chair tennis. I must say that it was one of the most difficult sports when your mobility is limited. I then went inside to play Goal Ball, which is a game for the visually impaired. The basic premise is that the game is 3 on 3 with each team occupying a given space on one side of the gymnasium. Each team takes turns rolling the ball across the gym floor in an attempt to sneak it past the other team. The ball has bells inside so that you can hear it as it rolling towards you. In our case, we had on ski goggles with black tape around them so that we couldn’t see anything. It was an extremely challenging game which entertained me for quite some time. After playing several games of Goal Ball we had to head back to lodging for setup and dinner.


The nourishing sponsored dinner was provided by Qdoba Mexican grill. Our post dinner activities consisted of fishing and free time. The fishing didn’t work out too well because the moss growth on top of the pond was too thick to get the lure to pass through. As such, my fishing experience lasted about 5 casts and then I had to call it a night. I spent my free time tonight doing laundry and catching up on bike maintenance . It was a low key night, but I really enjoyed our Laundromat experience. We were in a Latin American area of town and so we walked up and down the strip shopping in various foreign food shops. I purchased some foreign desserts (cocoa wafers, fruit flavored soda, sesame pistachio sticks) and then made my way back to lodging with clean clothes.


Tomorrow we have a lot to do so I need to get some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment