Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 23 2009 - Eureka - Ely


Another day in the great state of Nevada! Today the cycling team traveled 80 miles from Eureka to the city of Ely (pronounced El-ee). Unfortunately, I was only able to complete 30 miles of the 80 mile trip due to slight knee pain. I think that the knee pain stemmed from 3 long days of riding after being sick and taking some time off from riding. My muscles have been extremely fatigued the last few days and so I thought it would be wise not to push my knee too hard this early into the trip. After riding the rest of the route in the van, our team was hosted by the Ely County High School Student Council for a fantastic dinner of hamburgers, salad, and watermelon.

While it was tough to take myself off of the bike today, I am confident that it was the right decision for me in the long term. I am hoping to ride tomorrow morning as we depart from Ely and go to the small town of Baker, Nevada (population 65). The ride will be about 65 miles spanning over 2 mountain passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment