Monday, June 29, 2009

June 28 2009 - Salt Lake City


This morning got off to a great start with a late sleep in. For the first time on the entire trip I was able to sleep in until 9:30 am. After waking up, we made some quick runs to the bike shop and grocery store for necessities. We made sure to arrive back before 11:30 am so that we could make our way to Park City, Utah for a friendship visit.


We arrived at the National Abilities Center in Park City, Utah where we were warmly welcomed by the staff and participants. The center was by far the nicest of any of the places we have been. The athletes who spend time there in the summer have access to rock climbing walls, high ropes courses, horseback riding, and cycling.


While we were there, we had the opportunity to spend time with a group of individuals who were visually impaired. I spent most of my time hanging out with my new friend Paul who was a young boy. One particular moment that sticks out from my time with him occurred after I got him a CapriSun drink. At first, I wanted to put the straw in the pouch for him, but I wanted to recognize his abilities so I did not do anything. It was astounding because he got his straw into the drink faster than I could. I’m really enjoying the opportunity to spend time interacting with people with disabilities because I am learning so many new things every day.


Tomorrow we leave Salt Lake City, Utah and head for Park City, Utah (27 miles – Uphill)!

No comments:

Post a Comment